Saturday 31 May 2014

Long Run Blues

On Saturday morning, I got up early, laced my runners and set off my long run. It wasn't too hot and I was feeling pretty confident about my goal of 18km. The first few kms ticked along and I was thinking about how strong I was feeling. My drink bottle was a pain to carry so as I run a few loops, I hid it in the bushes with the intent of grabbing it on the way (something I would never do in Melbourne, but on the track I run here I have actually never seen anybody else!).

At around the 10km I was feeling a bit fatigued and I made a mental note to drink more water as it was heating up. Then the wheels fell off my wagon. It was hot, I was dehydrated, my shin splints flared up. The last 5km of this run could not have been further from the fun first 10km. I finally understand about hitting the wall. I hit the wall. Actually, I smashed into the wall at about 100km/h and struggled to get going again.

I didn't fuel properly on the run because I didn't have my water with me when I planned to refuel and by the time I got to my water the damage was done. My water was hot, the weather was hot, I was hot. It was a hard run. I could not have been happier when I turned down my street and I knew my punishment was almost over. But hey, 19km done and I am ready to head out again next week for a half marathon training run. Which is both exciting and scary. It's so weird to think my usual goal race distance is now just a training distance. Eeek.

Have you ever had a monstrous training run? How do you regroup?

Ash :)

No comments:

Post a Comment