Wednesday 14 May 2014

Run Disney Castaway Cay Challenge

Run Disney has just added a new challenge- The Castaway Cay Challenge! This challenge involves running any event at Marathon Weekend, plus the Castaway Cay 5k event while on the Disney Cruise departing 12th Jan.

A few things struck me as interesting when I had a look at the details provided:

This is a excerpt from the Castaway Cay 5k details: To be eligible for the Castaway Cay Challenge runners must enter their cruise reservation number at the time of registration for a 5K or longer 2015 Walt Disney World® Marathon race event. 

I find that very interesting as at the time of publication all events except for the Goofy Challenge were sold out, meaning many eligible runners will have already registered and be unable to provide those details. 

*UPDATE- I emailed RunDisney and they have said this was oversight and all you need to do is enter your cruise reservation number when registering for the Castaway Challenge*

There is no mention of the price. Judging by the prices of current Run Disney 5k's I would expect it to be around the $60.00.

I wonder if many people will have already booked accommodation/made alternate arrangements for after marathon weekend before this event was advertised. I had planned to spend a few more days at WDW, but I will be talking to my travel agent to see if I can change my plans (maybe?)!

This offer is only with the 4 night cruise, I would have loved to see a 7 night cruise offered as well! 


Personally, I am not sure what I am going to do. The word inaugural is very hard for me to resist, plus the chance to earn a challenge medal almost seals the deal. A few things I am thinking of that I will have to weigh up include:

a) Medal design- I have seen the original Castaway Cay medals and I am not a huge fan! Hopefully now it is an official race they will spice them up a bit. 

b) Holiday logistics- depending on work next year will depend on how long I can take for holidays/when I can take my holidays etc

c) My poor partner! I am dragging him to Wine and Dine, Avengers Half, Dopey Challenge- it is really fair to now drag him on a Disney Cruise so I can do ANOTHER race!


d) We were originally planning on a cruise but didn't really consider Disney as we wanted something a little more 'adult' focused.


But then again, maybe I am a big kid?

Has anyone been on a Disney Cruise? What are they like? Would you recommend one?

Ash :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment