Sunday 11 May 2014

Cross Training

I am lucky enough to have free access to a 25m pool 5 days a week, and I am trying my best to swim at least 4 times a week to ensure I am building general all over body strength and fitness, as well as it providing a welcome rest from running in the heat. Being a triathlete (and I use that term VERY loosely), I am an okay swimmer. I can comfortably swim 500m with no breaks at a reasonable pace, and often mix in some work with paddles (to build shoulder strength) as well as kicking drills to try and improve my form as well as provide a bit of variety to stop boredom. An average day at the pool is about 1km, with some weekend sessions being up to 2km. I really enjoy jumping in the pool, it takes me back to carefree summer holidays as a kid!


Just before jumping into the water at a triathlon.


I also try to get out and go for a easy walk on my non run days, I feel like it keeps my legs fresh and can help to work out any post long/hard run stiffness/soreness. The length varies, but it is at a very easy pace- 11/12min/km (My long run pace is closer to 8-9min/km, my 5k pace is 6-7min/km), and although I use my Garmin to keep track of distance, I don't pay too much attention to my pace (although sometimes I might insert a km of faster walking in the middle).

Finally, I also do a strength circuit 3 times a week, it includes sit ups, plank, some kettle bell work, boxing, star jumps and some light weight work. I do this circuit with a group of teachers from my school, so it is really nice to have some friendly face to help motivate and push me!

Hopefully by doing lots of cross training I can improve my overall fitness and reduce the chance of any running related injuries!

What are your favourite cross training activities?

Ash :)

No comments:

Post a Comment