Friday 16 May 2014

Musings on a Long Run

Today while on my long run I allowed my mind to wander while my legs ticked over the kms. Quite often on a long run I will think about all sorts of things- upcoming racecations, plans for the next week, what to have for dinner and other various runner musings! 


Today my mind drifted towards my upcoming Disney racecations and the training I will need to do to achieve my goals. At the moment I have been mostly running on feel as I settle into my new running environment. While in Melbourne my long runs were nearing 15-16km, and then I would often complete a shorter tempo run and a speed session as well as easy runs or walks a few times a week. Since moving to the Northern Territory and being slowed down by the heat I have been trying to walk everyday and fit in a long run once a week. 

After several weeks of long runs varying in length from about 9km to 12km, today was the first day I felt like my old self! I set off at about 6:15am ready to run about 10km- at which point it's normally time to head home as it's getting hot. Today, as the sun rose I noticed some unusual clouds in the sky and realised today was a lucky day! It was not getting anywhere near as warm as normal. At that point I decided to run a little longer until I felt it was too hot, and that turned out to be 16kms!! It felt fantastic to be able to run with a light breeze blowing, some shade and not have the sun beating down on me. 


What a view!

Today's run has got me super motivated for my upcoming racecations, and feeling like maybe Dopey won't be as impossible as first thought!

What do you think about on your long runs?

Ash :)

No comments:

Post a Comment