Tuesday 6 May 2014

I Miss Racing!

Let me make this perfectly clear- I am not the sort of runner who is likely to ever win her age group. I am more a back of the pack-er, who runs for the fun of it. It is something I genuinely enjoy. And I may never win my age group, but I sure do give it my best shot every time I race. I like getting PR's, I like running as hard as I can and looking back and thinking 'Wow! There is no way I could have run that time last year'.

When my mum and I signed up for our first 5km fun run back in July 2012 to support a good friend battling breast cancer, I though it would be one and done. I also wondered if I would make it to the finish line. The sense of accomplishment I felt when they placed my finisher medal over my head was indescribable. They may as well have been putting a gold medal over my head the at The Olympics. After that I was hooked, so I signed up for a 5.7km event at the Melbourne Marathon Festival. I watched the people running the 10km, half marathon and full marathon events and marveled at the sheer strength and determination I saw. The very next year I lined up at the half marathon, and I burst into tears as I crossed the finish line. I couldn't believe it- I had run a real half marathon! I probably came in the bottom 20%, but it didn't matter, I pushed myself harder and further than I thought I could go. I ignored the doubts and finished. I was ecstatic. And this fueled my love of racing.

Now I am living in the country far away from organised running and competition, I have come to realise something- I MISS IT! I like competing and trying to do better every time. I love the atmosphere of people all united for one cause. I love the pre race chit chat, I love the camaraderie. I love everything about racing.
Running for training is fine and I enjoy that too, but I miss the rush of adrenaline as I sprint to the finish line to better my PR by 2 seconds, I miss the pre race nerves I get every time- even though I have done over 10 races, I miss that feeling of accomplishment when I cross the line and prove to myself that I am a runner.

My mum and me after our first race! 

Do you like racing? What is your favourite running race?

Ash :)

No comments:

Post a Comment