Thursday 8 May 2014

Running in a New Area and New Temperature Zone!

Okay! For those who don't know much about Australian geography, here is a quick overview. Melbourne (my beloved home town) is known for four seasons in one day, and generally has gorgeous Summers but coldish Winters (no snow). An average Winter's day might be 14C and in Summer, an average day might be about 30C (no statistical reference here- just my own personal estimations!!) My new town- out remote in the Northern Territory is a little different- I would say about 30C everyday and sometimes really humid!

This is a huge change from me. I hate running in the heat. I would run in the rain everyday if I could. My PR's are almost always ran during the Winter months in Melbourne, as are the bulk of my running races. So, long story short- my running is suffering at the moment as I try to adjust to the heat. Even waking up at 6am to try and have my long run completed by about 8am isn't working- as soon as the sun is up I feel like I am melting. I have heard that it takes approximately 10 runs to adjust to a new temperature (and I am only 3 runs in at the moment) so I am willing to wait it out- but at the moment it just doesn't feel like there is any light at the end of the tunnel!

You know what though- my newly found motivation means I still get up, start running, and I do not come home till it's finished. Why? Because if I get to DisneyWorld and its 30C will I throw in the towel and say 'Oh it's too hot to run today, I will just watch the marathon instead'- NO! So that means suffer now and hopefully reap the benefits come race day. I want to be prepared for anything!


A view of the water from my new home town!

Do you have any tips for an inexperienced hot weather runner?

Ash :)

No comments:

Post a Comment