Sunday 26 January 2014

Race Review- Triathlon Pink Melbourne 200m/6km/2km

After lying on the couch for 2 days straight trying to recover from my corked thigh (check out my earlier post), I was ready and raring to go for my triathlon today. I pulled up a little tight, but was feeling confident and ready to beat my time of 45:08 from last year. This triathlon series (Triathlon Pink) offers a range of distances, and is especially good for beginner triathletes as the swim is in a pool, or there is also a no swim option.

The Swim: As the swim is in the pool, it is not a mass start-each swimmer enters the water individually at approximately 3 second intervals, and then swims in a M pattern to complete their 200m. I felt great on the swim and enjoyed myself. I really enjoy pool swimming, and I felt like I was totally in my element. The swim is really well organised and perfect for beginners, as you are allowed to stop and hang onto the sides of the pool if necessary, or hop out of the pool and move straight into the ride. I think this a great option to encourage all women to get involved with triathlon, and help to take away some of the stress on the day. Obviously everyone is encouraged to have a go at the swim, but there is no pressure if you struggle and need a break.

The Bike: The bike leg is fantastically flat (it actually takes place on part of the course of the Australian Grand Prix!!), and was a 2 lap course. I really enjoyed the bike course as it was flat, not too windy and I was still feeling strong. The sun was shining and the course wasn't too crowded.

The Run: Ahhh, the run. My worst enemy! After spending 2 days focusing on getting my corked thigh back on track, I completely neglected my usual pre race habits for managing my shin splints-stretching, icing, foam rolling. It hurt me on the run. I struggled, but made it through.

Overall: I was proud to finish the race- I was worried with my injury I would not even make it to the start line. I managed to finish in 40:17, wiping just under 5 minutes off my time from last year, which was another bonus. On the downside, my shin splints flared up and prevented me from cutting even more time off. I would not hesitate to recommend this race to someone who wanted to take the plunge and try a tri, but aren't quite sure where to start. I love this race, and will definitely be back again next year! See you then Triathlon Pink!!



Would a pool swim make you more likely to try a tri? Why?

Ash :)

No comments:

Post a Comment