Friday 24 January 2014

A Runner's Worst Nightmare- INJURY

Speak to any runner. No, speak to any triathlete. Wait, speak to anybody who plays sports. Actually-speak to anybody, BEING INJURED SUCKS!

I am a naturally clumsy person, and I must admit the majority of my injuries are not 'running' related. I am not someone who get stress fractures or muscle strains (and I'm not complaining)- but I definitely am someone who gets injured! Aside from running and triathlons, my other passion is touch football. I am sure most people reading this have never heard of touch football, so in summary, it is a 6 on 6 game similar to rugby league with no tackling and no kicking. Here is a little youtube of the game if you are interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp-SpodC6bY (video care of Touch Football Australia)

Anyway, point is, after my Thursday night game I have come away with one painful corked thigh. Having never experienced one before, let me tell you- it hurts! I have been resting on the couch icing, elevating and with my compression sleeve on. I have seen the physiotherapist and watched too many hours of terrible TV today (and honestly-who thought there would be a day where I complained about too much time relaxing and watching TV)!

As an athlete (and I use that term very loosely), there is never a good time to be injured. It drives me insane. With a triathlon (my 1st anniversary triathlon and one I was going to smash my PR in) on Sunday, I am determined to do everything I can to be fighting fit! Even if that means another day of terrible TV and RICE, RICE, RICE.

Do you have any tips on a fast recovery or how to avoid injury?

Ash :)

No comments:

Post a Comment