Sunday 19 January 2014

Race Review-Team Up Triathlon 3 200m/6km/2km

This weekend I completed the 3rd mini triathlon in the Team Up triathlon series.

The 5:30am wake up call wasn't much easier this week, but at least it isn't getting any harder! I arrived at the race and went to set up my transition area and rack my bike, only to realise I had forgotten my towel in the car! With not enough time to go back to the car and grab it before race briefing, I decided I would have to go without :(   As it turns out, it actually wasn't too annoying, but I won't be in any rush to make that mistake again.

The Swim- The swim was a little rough, and the current was strong. For the first 100m I wasn't sure if I was actually moving or not! I kept chugging along and eventually made it to the turn around where the current eased up and I could cruise back to shore. I made my way into transition, and without my towel I could not find my bike. I just stood there looking confused-after what felt like an eternity (about 30 seconds in race time), I found my bike. Then I had to shove my dirty, sandy, grassy feet into my socks and jump on the bike (which is why I would not recommend a tri without a towel).

The Bike- The bike leg was actually shortened by 4km due to a fire along the course earlier on the weekend (from 10km to 6km), so it went by very quickly. A nice flat, out and back course. I had to fight a strong headwind for the 2nd half of the bike leg, so when I made it to back to transition I was eager to start the run leg.

The Run- SUCCESS! My new Zensah compression sleeves worked wonders. I had a 100% improvement on my shin pain from last week, and was able to run virtually pain free. I actually managed to shave over 4 minutes from my run time last week.

Overall- A good race, although the field is of a very high standard. It was very competitive and a little discouraging for a beginner triathlete-a few angry older men on the bike leg and some over zealous yelling can be very off putting. I would save this race series until you have a little more experience under your belt, and stick to the Active Feet Series for total beginners.

Ash :)

No comments:

Post a Comment