Thursday 19 June 2014

The Beep Test

I have been trying to improve my overall fitness, and although race times and training times are great reflections of how I am going, I wanted something a bit more standardized. A lot can affect the time run in a race such as number of participants, course, weather and probably quite a few other factors I am forgetting.

So the beep test seemed like a good idea. For those of you who don't know, the beep test is basically a run to exhaustion within a specific time frame. 2 cones are placed 20 metres apart. You run backwards and forwards between the cones until you can no longer reach the cone before the next beep (you can download an app to get the beep 'soundtrack'). The time between the beeps gets closer and closer as the levels progress, so it tests endurance as well as ability to pick up speed as the legs get tired. About 1 1/2 months ago I did the beep test with a score of 5.5. Today I managed a score of 7, which was a huge improvement!

I am one happy chappy!

How do you test yourself for improvement?

Ash :)

No comments:

Post a Comment