Wednesday 9 July 2014

Stadium Stomp 2014

Well! I know I have been absent for a few weeks and I have no excuses other than I have been enjoying some amazing holiday time with my family. I love running, but I love my family a whole lot more, so being able to relax and spend some real quality time with them has been amazing.

While on holidays though (back home in Melbourne), it wouldn't have been a great holiday unless I snuck in a little race or something somewhere. So, Stadium Stomp 2014 it was! I completed it last year and had a ball, so making the decision to go again was a pretty easy one (see my blog about it here).

I decided to complete the full course just as I had done last year, and turned up and registered on the day (it actually worked out perfectly as my partner had to work that morning anyway), and watched a very cute on field proposal as I waited for my wave to start. I was little nervous, but knowing exactly what to expect, and knowing I had completed it last year made it A LOT easier!

I took it easy at the start knowing what was ahead- a few people commented as we finished level 1 and moved onto level 4 about being half way. Even though it does feel like half way because you have finished 1 of the 2 levels, in terms of stairs- you are only just over 1/4 of the way. It was great knowing what was ahead of me and it really helped me to pace myself so I could complete the challenge but finished with essentially no gas in the tank. I broke it into mental sections (green chairs, brown chairs, blue chairs) and counted how many sets of 'up' stairs until the next colour section of the stadium. Before I knew it I was nearing the end, and I was feeling it. I mean feeling it. My legs were shaking with every step and I was so looking forward to sitting down!

I pushed hard and I finished in under 1.5 hours, and I think it was faster than last year (but not 100% on that one). I was pretty pleased with myself after no specific stair training and just deciding on the day before to complete it.

I would 100% recommend Stadium Stomp to everyone, whether it be the half or full course. It is an awesome day out with a great atmosphere and provides an awesome challenge to people of various fitness levels. A big thumbs up from me Stadium Stomp!

Feeling very accomplished at the end of the day!

Do you often decide to do a race on short notice?

Ash :)

No comments:

Post a Comment