Tuesday 11 November 2014

Wine and Dine Half Marathon 2014 Race Recap

It has been a long time since I have written a race recap and I think Wine and Dine is a great race to break the drought.

With a forecast of torrential downpours and chilly temps, I will admit I was nervous. Having said that, as soon as I got on the bus, the energy was electric. I jumped on the bus at 7 at Port Orleans French Quarter, and something about a bus full of adults dressed up as Disney characters just makes life all the more magical. When I arrived at the race start (at about 7:20) I lined up for a photo with Chef Mickey- I thought the lines were long when I arrived- but after 30 minutes in line for Mickey, all the lines had doubled in length so I decided to give Minnie, Goofy and Chip and Dale a miss. I hit the porta potties and then found myself a spot on the grass and enjoyed watching all the costumed runners walk past and managed to strike up some conversation with some very friendly fellow runners. Around 9pm I headed to my corral and that's when the rain started. At first it was just a light drizzle but it got progressively heavier as the start drew nearer. I was lucky enough to be given a garbage bag by a very friendly fellow runner (THANK YOU) and before I knew it I was walking up to the start line.

The start line- AMAZING ENERGY


When the fireworks went off I couldn't help but wipe away a tear- actually a few tears. Very joyous tears. I couldn't believe after months of training, years of dreaming and waaaay too much planning, I was in America, running one of my dream races. It was one of the best feelings I have ever had. In fact, I am tearing up a little just thinking about it. I had decided to run 4:1 intervals and stop at whatever photos stops took my fancy. I mean, what is the point in running Disney if you can't enjoy the characters and sights that make Disney special. Personally I felt like there was lots of character stops and sights to keep me interested, although some people did mention that they felt like there were less character stops than past years (potentially due to the rain).

Some of the characters out included: The Country Bears, Fairies, Timone, King Louie, Buzz and Woody, Captain Jack Sparrow, Star Wars Character, Green Army Men and also photo stops at the Osbourne lights, Animal Kingdom tree and an Incredibles back drop- I could be forgetting a couple but these are the ones that stick out in my head.
Captain Jack Sparrow and Barbossa

Buzz and Woody

Although it was very cold and rainy for the whole race, I had an awesome time. I enjoyed the course. I stopped for photos, I high fived cast members as I ran past, I had fun. SO MUCH FUN! I found the miles to tick past really quickly, as my intervals very comfortable and there was so much happening on course I barely had time to notice how far I had run. I actually distinctly remember feeling sad at the 6 mile mark because I knew it was almost half way over.

The course was well marked, there were heaps of volunteers and cast members out, the medical aid tents were well stocked and lots of water stops. I thought the course was great, as it started at ESPN, went through Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios before finishing in Epcot, so I felt like I had a really good tour around Disney property. 

Mile markers all along the course- of course I had to get a snapshot with Australia!

When I ran through the finish chute the volunteers were amazing. I was wrapped in a space blanket and handed my medal. It was a little crazy but that was to expect with 12,000 odd finishers. I slowly made my way down the finishers chute collecting my food before making my way to Epcot for the finishers party- and more on that to come soon!

The medal was very cool- a spinner with Mickey on one side and Spaceship Earth on the other, although I did hear (and see) a lot of horror stories with broken medals. Mine made it through the night and I did take it to the park on Sunday for photos, but I kept the medal in my pocket and only put in on for photos. I would have been devastated if it had broken, so I decided to play it safe and not wear it around at the parks.

Very happy runner with her medal! (and the support crew)


Did you run Wine and Dine? How did you find it?

Ash :)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome recap! There certainly is something special about these races :)
    I also think that the change to miles from kms makes the distance seem shorter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what I was thinking, in my head I just imagine I am running 13km instead. It was easily the best race I have ever run, I am already trying to start planning when I could come back for more Disney races!

    ReplyDelete