Monday 17 November 2014

Avengers Expo Recap

We arrived in California on Wednesday night, and the expo was scheduled for Friday/Saturday, so we took a little bit of time to do some research and made sure we knew exactly where we would be heading on Friday morning. After having already got my shoes at Wine and Dine I decided to give the New Balance stall a miss (which meant a sleep in as I didn't have to register for the virtual queue). I had seen some pictures on Facebook of some really cute merchandise- I smashed the half Hulk t shirts and some really brightly coloured jumpers and I was determined to get them. However, I had also heard really bad stories about super hectic Disneyland expos, so we decided to head down to the expo at 9 (one hour earlier than opening) to ensure we wouldn't miss out.

IT WAS CRAZY. I mean it was organised crazy, but it was still crazy. The lines were massive. We jumped in line for the official merchandise and I decided I would head down and pick up my race number later (it's not like it can sell out). By about 9:30 the line started moving, and we managed to make it into the official merchandise by 10:15. I ended up choosing the Hulk I smashed the half tech shirt, an Avengers half jumper, an I did it cotton t shirt, medal pin and I smashed the half drink bottle. I felt like a lot of the merchandise, although very similar to Wine and Dine was a little more expensive, and it was also a lot busier in there so I wasn't really interested in browsing. I basically picked up what I wanted and left. There was lots to choose from though- a big selection of tech shirts, jumpers, jackets, mugs, glasses, tumblers, head bands etc- but I did hear a lot was gone by the end of the first day. I was really happy (and fortunate) to be on holidays and have the freedom to be able arrive at the expo early Friday morning. I really felt for all the runners who couldn't make it till late Friday or Saturday and may have potentially missed out on what they wanted.

My expo haul! I think I have an addiction!

I had a quick look around the expo but most of the vendors were the same as were at Wine and Dine the week before. I picked up another Team Sparkle visor (blue), a SparkleSkirt, some ProCompression socks, Feetures socks, GU gels and stopped off the the Clif stall where they were sampling a few of the their bars and gels. I had a chat to the guys running the stall and they were really helpful and arranged a couple of samples for me for non-Australian products so I can test them and buy them in January if I like them. That pretty much made my day- it's so hard when I see awesome new products that I want to try but they are only avaliable overseas. The guys at Clif gave me a couple of sachets of their electrolyte products, Shot bloks, gels, as well as their Orange Mango recovery drink which I have been dying to try. On my way out of the expo I stopped at a cool Avengers back drop Disney had set up and stopped for a photo with my bib. I really enjoy all the photo opportunities Disney provides both at the parks and with their races.

Awesome Avengers photo!
A huge thanks to the crew at Clif Bar! I can't wait to try everything!

 After exploring the expo, I headed over to packet pick up and there was no line! YAY! I picked up my packet and recieved the best bracelet of my life. Who thought a yellow wristband would mean so much to me. I am still wearing it now. I headed over and got my photo taken for my coast to coast medal and then I was finished. On my way out I had a quick look at the Dooney and Bourke bags, but the line was giant and to be completely honest I am not a huge handbag person anyway. I thought I would leave the Dooney and Bourkes to the true handbag fans.

The awesome, the amazing, the Coast to Coast wristband!

In total we were at the expo for about 3 hours including all the time in lines which wasn't too bad. It was well set out and organised, the only downside being the huge lines, however Disney did a great job managing everyone and the lines moved relatively quickly.

Do you enjoy shopping at expos? What do you normally look for at a race expo?

Ash :)

No comments:

Post a Comment