Saturday 13 September 2014

The best 5km of my life!

This will not seem like a big deal to many runners. But to me, as far as I am concerned, I just placed first in an Olympic 5000m.

Last week I ran 5km WITH NO WALK BREAKS. Sure I have 'run' 5km thousands of times. But I have always taken a walk break, normally around the 3-3.5km mark in a race for a couple of minutes before I pick it up for a strong finish. When just training by myself I normally just stick to my Galloway intervals as that is what I will be using in all of my upcoming RunDisney Races- Wine and Dine Half, Avengers Half, Dopey Challenge and Castaway Cay Challenge.

I decided a couple of weeks ago to get back into running with my run group, they are a bit faster than me, so I normally just tag along at the back or cut a 1-2km off the out back path so I can finish with everyone and have a safer run. During one session, one of the girls offered to run with me, and as we chatted I was feeling pretty strong. We took one 30 second walk break at the turn around point, and I thought to myself, next time I am not taking that break.

The next week I headed out with the group, and with my goal in focus I finished that 5k running the whole way. I know to a lot of people that wouldn't be a big deal, but it is definitely one of the high points of my running career. To do something that for so long I though was impossible was amazing.



How did you feel when you achieved a long term goal?

Ash :)

No comments:

Post a Comment