Sunday 21 September 2014

Dopey Training Update- First back to back run weekend!

This past weekend was a momentous one, my FIRST BACK TO BACK training weekend for Dopey. The plan called for 4 miles on Saturday and then the big 13 on Sunday. While slogging away on Sunday, a thought crossed my mind. While looking at my training plan, I always look at the big picture. In that regard, this weekend's past back to back run was nothing. I mean, nothing! I need to double these distances just to get an idea of the epicness that is the Dopey Challenge. But then I had an epiphany!

I almost ran the equivalent to Dumbo Double Dare, or Glass Slipper (runDisney challenge races which involve 10k and half on Saturday and Sunday) this weekend! That is awesome! Just because this weekend's runs were small in the big picture, they are still big achievements. It is pretty easy to get caught up and always look to the next week, and bigger run, but sometimes its fun to stop and enjoy an accomplishment, even if it is just a step to towards the bigger picture.


It was running gear central at my house on Saturday night!
It meant I was up on Sunday at 5:15am, ready to go!

As for my run, the mental game begins now. I have never ran 13 miles for 'training' in my life, normally this past weekend would have been race time. Physically I know I can keep running, but mentally it is really hard to see numbers like 15, 17 and 20 followed by the words miles on a training plan. Swap the miles for km, and sure no problem! And this weekend was also the beginning of more back to back runs, but hey- if I did this weekend, I am sure I can do a few more!

A very happy camper with 13 miles in the books!

How is your training going? Do you have a big race coming up?

Ash :)

No comments:

Post a Comment