Saturday 9 August 2014

The wise Garmin knows all.

While on my 7 mile (11.2km) training for RunDisney's Dopey Challenge, I found myself with a lot of time to just think. As I plodded along, I found myself feeling stronger and stronger with each passing kilometer. Now in no way am I complaining about this, but in my experience I am a runner who doesn't really get into the groove of my run until about the 7-8km mark. This is one reason why I really struggle with a 5k, just as I start to feel like I am finding a comfortable rhythm, the race is over. And last year in my maiden half marathon voyage I copped a second half split (10km-end) of 1:11, which is actually 6 minutes faster than my 10km PR. Weird hey?

Anyway, my very wise Garmin obviously records a variety of information, and mostly I am just checking my overall pace/km to check I am still working with RunDisney cut off time (which I am- WAHOOOOO). Today I though I would have a little look at my splits per interval (on a long run I use 1:1 Galloway intervals).
These are the splits from the beginning of my run (warm up, then 1 min run: 1 min walk)

These are the splits from the end of run

As you can see, my run splits improve by over a minute from in the range of 7:14/km-8:13km to a best interval of 6:03/km.

This showed me to two things: 

1) I am not crazy, I didn't just feel like I was running faster, I actually was running faster!

2) If I can find a good warm up that works for me and can get me running those kind of times from the start I will be in much better shape for the Dopey Challenge.

Do you ever look at your GPS data? Have you ever found anything interesting?

Ash :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment