Wednesday 30 July 2014

Recovery Tips and Tricks

I touched on a few of my recovery tips and tricks a little while back (check out my post here), but thought I would give a bit more detail on my personal recovery strategies. What works for each individual will always be different, but these are a few strategies I rely on.

1) A good cool down- I always try to finish a run with 1/2-1km of gentle walking to bring my heart rate down and help my muscles to relax

2) Stretching- I focus on my hip flexors, calves, glutes and quads as they are all problem areas for me. I find about 3 minutes per stretch works wonderfully.

3) Protein- My personal favourite is Dextro After Sports Recovery Drink, but another tried and tested favourite is chocolate milk! Whatever works for you, but you want to get some proteins and carbs into your body within about 30 minutes of finishing your workout.

4) Depending on the intensity of the session, I will sometimes have an ice bath. It sounds brutal, but it works wonders for me.

5) Compression- I love my 2XU elite compression tights, but I also wear 2XU compression socks

6) Bath with epsom salts- If i am still feeling a little tight the next day, a warm bath with epsom salts really helps.

7) Foam Rolling/Rolling with a spikey ball- I have a spikey ball that I swear by, and often roll the arches or my feet, calves and hip flexors if I still have a little tightness the next day.

What is your recovery magic trick?

Ash :)

Disclaimer: I was not compensation for this post in anyway. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment