Thursday 20 November 2014

Avengers Half Marathon Race Recap


I was super excited to run this race, and Captain America was ready to go!

Captain America, ready to run!
I decided to take it easy at the parks on Saturday, arriving at about 11am and leaving around 4. I used the rest of the afternoon to go for a swim, have a spa and basically just relax, knowing full well that the 3:30 am wake up call was not going to be pretty. I settled into bed around 8:30 and fell asleep quickly- SUCCESS! Well, not quite. I woke up about an hour later and then after being awake for a few hours, slept on and off until 3:30. I put it down to excitement!

I jumped out of bed and got dressed- I always lay everything out the night before and compare it to previous pictures of 'flat Ashleigh' to check that I haven't forgotten anything. Staying on property at Disneyland meant it was only about a 10minute walk to the race start, which was super convenient. I would definitely recommend looking at staying on property if it is within your budget, at least for race day/pre race night. The start area was pretty calm when I arrived, and to be honest I never noticed it getting as hectic as Wine and Dine. I made my way to my corral with ease at about 4:15, and sat down and waited for the start. Rudy and Carissa, the race MC's kept me entertained until race start.

Flat Ashleigh.

I was in corral F, but corral E and F had a joint start, so even though I was at the front of my corral, I ended up being in the middle of the 2 corrals when we were released. I didn't notice too much congestion, and I settled into an easy pace, running 4:1 Galloway intervals (just like Wine and Dine). The first few miles through the parks were awesome, there was lots of people cheering, lots to keep me distracted and a few character stops. I didn't stop for Captain America, Black Widow or Hawkeye, because as much as I would have loved to- the lines were huge! I mean, I am not running right on 16 min miles so I have some leeway, but with those lines I just didn't feel confident enough to wait for 10-15minutes so early in the race. I ended up stopping for Minnie and Mickey inside Disneyland, as they had a super short line- which was excellent. I also stopped for a photo with the Green Army Men, at the front of Disneyland, with some of the mile markers and at Angel Stadium. In retrospect, I would have had time for one or two character stops, but it was too early in the race to know that at the time.

Race start!

Mickey and Minnie and Captain America!

The next few miles through Anaheim were less eventful. I don't want to say boring, but it didn't compare to Wine and Dine. Maybe it peaked to early, with the first 3 miles being so action packed and then the next 6 being a little lacklustre. There were cheerleaders and school bands out, which was really cool, but these next 6 miles were also where the winds picked up, and I was struggling. I needed all the moral support I could get. I hi fived everyone that was offering, I really needed the pick me up. Mile markers were blown down left, right and centre. Some were missing clocks, some were missing the art and were just empty frames. This wind was brutual. It stung my eyes and when dirt hit my legs it hurt. I was so happy when I saw Angel Stadium in the distance.

Mile 6 marker missing its clock. Sorry for the random guy in the photo!

I found the Green Army Men after missing them at Wine and Dine!

The mile in and around Angel Stadium went too quickly, the energy was awesome and there was lots going on. We then ran through the Clif Shot station where I grabbed a Razz Clif Shot (yummy!), and then there was a stretch of service men and women down the street. I hi fived them too- it was just the mental boost I needed for those last 3 miles. As I ran back I was so excited to make it back to Disney property.

Angel Stadium!

I speeded up as I approached the chute, knowing that my Coast to Coast medal was only about 160 metres away. When I crossed the finish line I was beyond happy. 2 weeks. 2 coasts. 2 halves. 2 races with crazy weather. I recieved my Avengers medal and made my way down the chute to pick up my Coast to Coast medal. It was a super short line, and they just put my bib number in the computer, checked me against my photo from the expo (I presume), and I was on my merry way with my medal in hand.

The family reunion area had been closed due to high winds, so I decided to just make my way back to my room, when my lovely boyfriend spotted me. It was a relief. I was just so mentally drained from the race, it was nice to have someone there to help me out. I got back to my room and showered, and then hit the parks with all 3 medals (Wine and Dine, Avengers and Coast to Coast). It was time to celebrate!

How do you deal with racing in less than ideal conditions?

Ash :)

No comments:

Post a Comment